Rock Fan’s Guide To The Ravinia 2012 Season: Dr. John, Jimmy Cliff, Tedeschi Trucks, CSN & More
Thursday, April 26th, tickets go on sale for the Summer 2012 season of Ravinia Festival in Highland Park. Programmers there are usually pretty good about sprinkling in a handful of pop and rock shows to the classical heavy lineup and this year is no exception. No, it’s not the best place for sitelines (unless you have an elusive pavilion seat). But, you can take the train there very easily from the city, and also BYOB (and F) making for an enjoyable summer-time experience.
Here are The Barn’s picks-to-click on this year’s schedule (all shows in the pavilion except where noted):
- As Charles Jefferson pointedly asked in Fast Times At Ridgemont High: “When are those Earth, Wind and Fire tickets comin’ in?” Tickets for the June 9th show are onsale 4/26
- One of my favorite albums released this spring has been the Dan Auerbach produced Dr. John LP “Locked Down”. The New Orleans legend headlines with Iron & Wine on June 10th
- President Obama has been know to sing an Al Green song. He brings the soul to the north burbs on June 15th
- June 18th, reggae legend Jimmy Cliff will perform
- Not weird enough, you can check out the ground-breaking Philip Glass at The Martin Theater on June 23rd
- From weird to wild-and-crazy, component banjo man and brilliant actor-comedian Steve Martin & The Steep Canyon Rangers entertain on June 24th
- Have some spiritual enlightenment with your latin-infused guitar solos when Santana visits on July 9th
- Not sure I can actually recommend anything that involves Jim Belushi, but The Blues Brothers bring the revue to Ravinia on July 11th. Perhaps the songs and the backing band will be enough to make it worthwhile
- Best bet of the summer! Tedeschi Trucks Band will grace the stage on July 18th. This is the real deal, you guys.
- No Y, but Crosby Stills & Nash will wax nostalgic on August 3rd
To purchase tickets online, create an account.